Wednesday 25 June 2014

Just ring

In the olden days people used to write letters to each other via mail and telegram. Then they started using telephones which was a lot better. Then we got fax machines which was amazing for sending documents. Then we got email which revolutionised how we work. Then we got mobile phones which really WAS amazing and also text messaging which no one thought would catch on at all.
Now when someone wants to contact me (or anyone, there's nothing special about me) they can
- Email me
- Text me
- Blackberry message me
- WhatsApp me
- iMessage me
- FaceTime me
- Skype me
- DM me on Twitter
- @ me on my timeline on Twitter
- Write on my Facebook wall
- Send me a LinkedIn message
- do a little heart 'like' stupid thing on Instagram to say they liked my picture and that looks amazing and I am so pleased you are on holiday there/eating that pizza/seeing that little dog there and oh long time no see we must meet up it's been ages



This is a lot of people

We're deluged with information but less informed, we're better connected but we have less time to see people and we're all so busy chasing all of the above that everything is just a fog.
And none of this really matters. It actually doesn't matter at all. How many RT's a tweet got, how many timelines it reached (for this read 'this many people potentially saw this on their phone when they were making a brew/sat on the toilet/waiting for a bus') and how many people are LinkedIn with you doesn't matter at all. 


Obvious but interesting. Trying to influence someone?
A tweet works, right?
Where would Twitter sit on here?


Welcome to the Cheesy Picture Convention - the first session is
'The  Really Crap Fake Business Meeting Picture - examples of good practice.'

Just bloody ring, that's what I reckon. Chat, have the craic, say hello. Or meet up.

Obviously posted this on a social media blogging website. Obviously tweeted it. Obviously hope that people read it.

Now work THAT one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment