Tuesday 3 December 2013

Eau dear

I met up with someone yesterday who works for a chemical company. We see each other periodically to put the world to rights and swap stories. This train of thought is entirely down to him but is worthy of attention. I haven't really thought about this before.

Here are a few things that are entirely normal about how we think about food:

- Consumers want to know where their food is coming from. 
- Consumers want to know where an animal was born, reared and slaughtered.
- Consumers want to know that the chemicals that are used in farming are safe.
- Consumers want to know when they buy beef lasagne it is beef lasagne.
- Consumers want to know that the animal they are eating was well looked after.
- Consumers want to know what farmers are doing with the taxpayers money they get.
- Consumers want to know about all of the above but they want it better and cheaper.  
- Consumers want to know they can have all this and a beautiful countryside. 

Here are a few things that in comparison are not normal about how I think about water:

- I live in Belgium, I have no idea where my water comes from. I didn't in England either.
- I don't know where my water started, what was done to it, or what it went through.
- I have no idea what chemicals are put into my water, and I don't think to ask.
- I presume that the water I drink is actually water, but it could be anything.
- I have no idea if the people giving me water look after it properly.
- I presume water companies sometimes get taxpayers money but I have never asked.
- I don't know if I want my water better and cheaper, I pay on direct debit and don't think.
- I don't link the countryside and water together when I am filling up a glass.

So I spend a lot of time getting hot and bothered about food and farming and environment and energy and politics and do you know I never ever think about water. I turn a tap on and presume that what comes out of it is what I think it is, that it is safe for me to drink, that getting it to me hasn't harmed the environment and that I can afford to buy it.

A strange thought isn't it? Is this because the water is always abundantly there and I don't have to go to a shop to get it? Do we need a shortage to make me appreciate it more? Why do I think about the coffee I drink, the vegetables I cook and the meat I eat but I don't think about the water to make the coffee, the water to cook the vegetables and the water the animal drank?


No comments:

Post a Comment